Establishing, Protecting and Preserving Lifelong Homeowners throughout Los Angeles County
2012 Achievements & Milestones
Neighborhood Housing Services of Los Angeles County (NHS) and its affiliates, NHS Neighborhood Redevelopment Corporation and NHS Neighborhood Lending Services, touched the lives of 1.4 million households as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) during the fiscal year.
We are proud to have achieved the following:
- Reinvested $204.4 million into Los Angeles County neighborhoods by facilitating loans of more than $67.1 million to local residents to improve housing conditions, create homeownership opportunities and prevent foreclosure. We reinvested $44.3 million through real estate services and nearly $93 million through foreclosure prevention efforts this last fiscal year;
- Assisted 10,482 families keep their homes and prevent foreclosure through aggressive foreclosure prevention fairs, clinics, workshops and other NHS programs, reinvesting over $3.7 billion in stabilizing neighborhood property values;
- Helped 389 families become homeowners through direct loans, brokering activities and financial education classes;
- Educated and counseled 3,542 families regarding homeownership purchase, budgeting, credit repair, home maintenance, and insurance education;
- Completed 279 home inspections, 235 work write-ups, monitored construction of 52 jobs, and completed rehabilitation for 275 homes that help green and sustain our communities;
- Represented 79 low and moderate income buyers with an average of $262,252 in buying power, and closed 90 real estate transactions (acquisitions and homebuyer purchases) totaling over $44.3 million in value;
- Coordinated 98 volunteers, who spent 1,890 hours (a service value of $49,150) participating in NHS events and raised in-kind donations totaling nearly $82,195;
Since February 2010, NHS has obligated more than $30 million of its $60 million award of federal recovery funds for the Neighborhood Stabilization Program in partnership with a Consortium of 23 partners;
Neighborhood Housing Services of Los Angeles County (NHS) has continued to help families maintain homeownership; assisting families families become homeowners thus stabilizing and revitalizing neighborhoods. We received over 67,919 calls, averaging over 261 calls per business day regarding homeownership and other program related services.